Cutting weight

Go down

Cutting weight

Post  travis220 on Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:46 pm

I have been doing a lot of research on the subject as I have to cut some weight for june 20th card, i found this article on cutting weight in a shorter period of time, hopefully it will help those of you like myself who may have an issue with cuttting weight.
http://www.grapplearts.com/How-to-Cut-Weight.html

travis220

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Losing weight

Post  Lobo on Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:17 am

It is a good article with some good advice, but probably the soundest advice in my opinion is …

“Remember that weight cutting is an art and must be taken very seriously. When used correctly, it can be a powerful tool that can lead to victory. When used incorrectly, it can be a powerful obstacle that can lead to defeat. This, like any art, must be practiced a number of times in advance. Only then can you begin to truly understand its power.”

I had found myself in this situation a number of times and have observed a number of fighters in the same boat. And every time it has never been a good thing. There is nothing like weighting in a few pounds heavy hours before the fight to have the promoters and coaches looking at you with anger. Then to sit there in a black plastic bag running or skipping trying to lose the weight, tiring you out physically and emotionally before the fight. There is no recovering from that when you should be focusing mentally on the fight. Do yourself a favour and be truthful about your weight and realistic (to yourself). If you are already ripped where are you going to lose the weight? You’re not going to lose good weight especially at an armature level. Everyone has a “natural” weight that they fight at. If you’re training hard and eating well your weight is going to some what set. You can play with it a bit but again be realistic. It is always easier to go up in weight (chugging a few liters of water) then go down by a few pounds, and there is so many unforeseen complications (ie: over training).

As a new fighter learning the ropes, developing technique, and endurance, you shouldn’t be learning how to dealing with the stress of trying to make a weight that is almost with in reach but with out help unreachable.

Train how you fight and you will fight how you training!
Lobo

Lobo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cutting weight

Post  travis220 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:22 am

I totally agree. in a perfect world we could all fight at our natural weight without that worry but sometimes things do not work out that way. Sometimes your opponent dicates your weight(as in my case). A way around the problem of not making weight or exhausting oneself would be to have weigh ins the day before the fight and not the day of, allowing for a period of recovery. As much as I am confident in my ability to fight at my walking weight, I do realize that by cutting 15 pounds I can give myself even more of an advantage.

travis220

View user profile

Back to top Go down

cutting weight

Post  Lobo on Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:20 am

Don't get me wrong either, I was just being critical of a good article you found, in an effort to bring some thought to anyone thinking they can just cut weight when ever they want. It is a very good article. For the guys at the club that fight on a consistent basis (ie: Chris, Dennis, Christine) I believe that their weight doesn't fluctuate very much. If you have to lose 15 pounds, and I'm sure you will knowing the slave drivers at the helm, and you continue afterwards to hit the bag, pads, spar on a regular basis you shouldn't have to lose that 15 pounds again. With all that said and being in a perfect world, that would take into account that you eat and sleep regularly (shift work kills me).

If my opinion is worth anything and you need to lose 15 pounds for the fight I would do two things. Run five days a week ( half an hour minimum) and hit the bag for A LOT of rounds a number of times per week.

Not that I'm much help, but if I can help let me know. (talobo@hotmail.com)

Lobo

Lobo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Baoy on Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:11 am

I was looking at some of your past fight photos Adam. Did you cut at all to fight? I'm thinking it would be more realistic for you to cut weight because back in the day there weren't many fight opportunities, allowing more time in between to make weight. Your right about how difficult it could be to cut a whole lot of weight if you fight frequently. Me and Chris usually walk around at the weight we fight at, often giving up a few pounds to our opponent. For now I don't think that really matters as much, just need to get out there and fight for the experience.

baoy
Baoy
Admin

View user profile http://www.teamtko.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kyle on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:18 pm

It's important to make a distinction between losing weight and cutting weight (generally understood to be very short-term weight loss through dehydration). If your focus is already on the latter with 2.5 weeks left, you may be in trouble...

After weigh-ins on June 20 you may have as little as 1-2 hours before you have to fight. If you try to make weight by dehydrating yourself you will be in for a very unpleasant experience.

Kyle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob on Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:25 pm

I agree with Kyle 100 percent.

If 3 weeks out or a month out from your fight you are out of shape and have a bad diet, cleaning up your diet and training harder can result in 2 or 3 pounds of WEIGHT LOSS a week. But if you are actually planning on Cutting weight through dehydration then You should have a minimum of 10 hours between weigh in and fight time, but ideally a day.

I am currently in the middle of training for a BJJ tournament on June 21st. I started cleaning up my diet this past weekend giving me three weeks of very clean eating. I started out at 164lbs where my diet was horrible. I need to weigh in at 155 on June 21st first thing in the morning and will have probably 5 hours max before I fight. I plan on loosing about 3 pounds a week and (hopefully) not have to actually cut any weight from dehydration.

From my experience the best way to loose those extra pounds before a fight is to eat clean and train hard. Also I find when I am eating very clean my training is better as well.

P.S. Love the forum, great idea!

Rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Cuttign Weight

Post  Lobo on Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:04 am

I agreed completely with the comments made by Rob and Kyle. To answer Baoy's question and completely dating me I generally sat at one weight (185 lbs). But I was eating very clean and training hard for long periods of time. From where I am sitting right now I believe I was eating and training incorrectly. When I have a little more time I will talk about that.

Lobo

Lobo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down